Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Basement Floor Paint--Can I use an epoxy paint over the wrong, chipping paint?

12 years ago, I painted my basement floor with a semi-gloss. It's scratched and chipped, and now I know better. I hate the idea of renting a sander and getting dust over everything. What would happen if I used proper concrete paint over the floor as is (but cleaned well)? Wouldn't the worst prospect mean re-painting areas that don't stick?Basement Floor Paint--Can I use an epoxy paint over the wrong, chipping paint?
IS the existing paint latex or oil base????if latex epoxy might not adhere i would ask the paint store if your epoxy will


adhere to either . Make sure ALL old paint is scraped off


then you want to wash down with murtic acid (very safe) let dry real good then paint that's what i did on my floor 10 years ago hold up very wellBasement Floor Paint--Can I use an epoxy paint over the wrong, chipping paint?
You have to make sure all of the flaking paint is up before you put any new paint down. Fresh paint adheres to the existing paint coat so, if you have loose paint, the new paint is going to come up in those areas. After 12 years, i would guess that most of what i going to come up has.
If you have a drain in the floor, I would recommend Pressure washing the floor first. I did this in my garage, and so far, so good.
  • military loans
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment