Sunday, February 21, 2010

Using enamel for fine art painting on epoxy?

I have a painting in which I coated with a layer of clear epoxy resin. It is now cured and I want to paint on the epoxy surface. I was thinking about enamel used in hobby models.


I went to the store today and found 2 kinds of enamel. Acrylic enamel and regular enamel.


I assume the acrylic is water-based and the other is oil.


My questions are:


What is best to paint onto a surface of epoxy resin?


Does it need to be coated after that with anything?


What are the archival qualities of this stuff?Using enamel for fine art painting on epoxy?
Either oil or acryllic will work on your epoxy surface. Both will look good, the acryllic will clean up easier. Afterward, you only need to coat it with something if you want a different look (like it is glossy and you want it to be matte) Enamel is pretty permanent stuff, good for outdoors, waterproof, etc. so you don't need to do anything. It should be pretty lightfast and keep its color for a long time, but I can't say if it is archival or pH neutral, like it won't yellow the lignins it comes into contact with.Using enamel for fine art painting on epoxy?
girl

No comments:

Post a Comment