Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Should I put the flakes down with epoxy paint?

Concerns:


1. will it look uniform?


2. will it stay? (under the paint or on top? How does this work?)


3. will it affect the texture of the floor?


thanksShould I put the flakes down with epoxy paint?
It will look uniform as long as you go slowly and lightly until you get the hang of it. I wouldn't worry about that though. I have seen not one but to morons get it right.


It stays. But I'll tell ya, the epoxy paint will wear off in high traffic areas after a year or two. But you can always touch those areas up. The flakes however last as long as the epoxy for sure.


They are paper thin and won't make the floor bumpy or difficult to sweep or anything if that's what you're wondering. What they will do is add visual texture and hide imperfections that were already in the floor. Bottom line- use them.Should I put the flakes down with epoxy paint?
Epoxy paints do not last long. Use an epoxy coating and then broadcast the flakes. There are different ways to braodcast the flakes on the epoxy coating a. Check feeding b. Throw in the air and let them fall under gravity. You can broadcast as little or as much you want. If you want to cover the surface completely, it is a good idea to remove the excess amount next day either by brooming or with an air blower. The surface needs to be covered with a seal coat.
I painted my kitchen floor with epoxy paint. I etched the concrete.....applied concrete bonding primer.....2 light coats of epoxy paint using a small sponge roller. I let the paint cure for the recommended time and then used a 3/8'; nap roller to apply final coat in 3'X6' sections and sprinkled the flakes down as I was going. You can put them in a pizza pepper shaker or an empty carpet freshener can.


After 72 hours I sealed the floor with 4 coats of Zep High Traffic Floor Finish(Step 3) with 30 minutes between coats. I did the floor 1 year ago and just mopped and applied 2 coats of the floor finish. Floor looks great.

No comments:

Post a Comment