Thursday, February 18, 2010

For A Fiber Glass Boat -- Marine Paint Vs. Colored Fiber Glass Epoxy Vs. Exterior House Paint?

I Have A Small Sail-Boat In Which The Paint Is Chipping Badly. Can I Use Exterior Acrilic House Paint For A Wooden Boat That's Coated In Fiber-Glass? Or Do I Have To Use Marine Paint? What's The Big Difference? Or Since It's Fiber-Glass, Do I Have No Other Option But To Use Expensive Colored Epoxy? I'd Like To Cheap Out On This Project But Is That Just More Trouble Than It's Worth?For A Fiber Glass Boat -- Marine Paint Vs. Colored Fiber Glass Epoxy Vs. Exterior House Paint?
Since there's a fibergalss covering...I assume you mena glass fiber soaked in polyester or epoxy, treat it like a glass boat...........a good exterior house paint will last a few months in salt water so if you dont mind doing the job over and over...........and like any paint job, the prep time takes 4 or 5 times longer than the actual painting....sand and fill and sand ( watch out! fiberglass dust is incredibly ithchy!)and sand and put the primer recommended for the top coat paint and then the top coat....marine paint ( Pettit Old Salem) last almost two years on my 60 year old wood boat in the Caribbean.....and ittakes about 2 hours a foot, when all is said and done, to do a good job...

No comments:

Post a Comment