Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Can I use fiberglass epoxy over spray paint or will the epoxy eat it away?

I am making a skimboard and I would like to paint it with spray paint. With my past skimboards I have found that it is hard to keep the spray paint from wearing off even after covering it with many different sealers so I was wondering if I could fiberglass over it or if the epoxy would eat away the spray paint. I should also note it is a wood board so do you think I should use epoxy paint then epoxy or just paint then epoxy?Can I use fiberglass epoxy over spray paint or will the epoxy eat it away?
In all respect having the paint removed is the best solution. However if total removal is not allowable, then insure the paint is sanded rough for the fiberglass to bond. It will not eat away at the paint....but it will be the weakest support. If you have a strong bond of paint to wood...followed by a strong (sanded) bond of fiberglass to paint then you you won't have to fear any breaks.





Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment